© 2013 - The Palace Community Centre Ibstock
Originally opened on Boxing Day 1912, The Palace is one of the earliest purpose-built cinemas in the country. Retaining many of its original features, the building has been sympathetically converted for use as a general purpose community venue, suitable for a wide range of social, artistic and commercial activities.
The Palace is owned by Ibstock Parish Council and managed for them on behalf of the local community by The Palace Community Centre Ltd., a charity registered under the Industrial and Provident Societies Acts.
Predating all of the Art-Deco style super cinemas of the 1920’s – 1930’s, the Palace is one of the earliest existing examples of a purpose-built cinema in the country. Built on the original 'fair field', where the travelling theatre would make an annual visit, as well as the fair, a weekend market, and the cricket field, the site has been the centre of popular entertainment in the village of Ibstock for over one hundred years. In 1912, the Palace, designed by local architects Goddard & Wain of Coalville, was built by Baxter’s Builders; it opened its doors for the first time on Boxing Day that year. Unable to compete with the rise of televisions and large out of town cinemas, the last film to roll off the reel was Walt Disney’s “Jungle Book” in 1970. Still a provider of popular community entertainment, the Palace was used as a Bingo Hall, before finally closing for business in 1986. Bought by the Parish Council on 3 October 1995 the building was leased to the Palace Arts Centre Ltd in 2000.
In addition to our regular events we have a wide range of exciting entertainment, shows, films and social events...